The Webster School, at 940 H Street NW, was built in 1882 as a 12-room schoolhouse. From 1925 until 1949, it was used as an "Americanization" school, where recent immigrants took citizenship classes, before being used for various purposes by the D.C. Public Schools. It was boarded up in the 1990s, and subsequent designation as an historic landmark halted plans to redevelop the building. It's been vacant ever since, and property records indicate that it's technically owned by the U.S. General Services Administration, which doesn't have to pay vacant property taxes.
Over the years, the District has built and then discarded many beautiful schools. Here's a good selection of particularly historic buildings, some of which have made their way back into good use, and others that are still sitting.