The Alexander Crummell School was built in 1911 at Kendall and Gallaudet Streets NE--now behind the old Hechts Warehouse and Love Nightclub--as a school for black children, and was used as an auto auction house after it closed in the late 1960s. It's been falling apart, covered with ivy, even after being placed on the D.C. Inventory of Public Sites in 2002. The District issued a new request for offers on the property just this week.
Over the years, the District has built and then discarded many beautiful schools. Here's a good selection of particularly historic buildings, some of which have made their way back into good use, and others that are still sitting.