Arts EditorWashington City Paper is looking for a full-time editor to oversee its coverage of the arts, both online and in the print product. We're seeking someone who can assemble a lively, stylish, and cerebral section of arts criticism and reporting each week, populate a dynamic arts blog with reporting and commentary, and innovate new ways of covering the local arts, in forms both short and long. We want an editor who is eager to write everything from breaking news stories to quick-response blog commentaries to months-in-the-making cover stories, and who can recruit and manage a corps of freelancers. Competitive candidates should also possess less revolutionary, conventional skills with respect to knowing about the arts, editing copy, meeting deadlines, dealing with freelancers, and so on. Interested? Please send your stuff--cover letter, resume, clips or thesis, miscellany--to email@example.com.
Online Producer/DeveloperWashington City Paper is looking for a new online producer. You must be able to push both the publisher and editor to find new ways to grow our digital audience, through new features, design tweaks or overhauls, better use of social media, or some other idea that--so far--you've only dreamed about trying. Besides helping the editors run our site at WashingtonCityPaper.com, you'll act a guide to the rest of the staff--training them on new tools, prioritizing development projects, and taking the lead on traffic-building initiatives. The online producer reports to the editor, but you'll also work directly with the business side for sales, marketing, and event initiatives. The ideal candidate is a competent HTML developer with a nose for journalism--and also a writer with a solid grounding in the technical side of web publishing. Responsibilities include:
- Curating and updating the homepage on an hourly basis (choosing stories, writing headlines, editing photos)
- Producing the web versions of our print articles
- Producing multimedia content (web video, audio, photo slideshows etc.)
- Conceiving and implementing changes to the design of our WordPress-based blogs
- Working with the creative director on a new design for our homepage and overseeing transition to a WordPress-based CMS for most of the site
- Contributing to our blogs and occasionally editing posts
- Working with staff and freelancers on both technical and editorial matters
- Daily management of our social network presence (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr)
- Managing long-term web projects for special sections such as our yearly Best of D.C. guide and themed issues
- Providing reports and analysis on weekly traffic
- Creating and sending HTML newsletters daily
- Interacting with local bloggers to seed stories and solicit feedback
- Meeting weekly with the Online Sales Coordinator to keep her in the loop on upcoming editorial projects
- Meeting regularly via conference calls with the Online Producers at our sister publications in SouthComm, Inc., to discuss plans and share information
- Bachelor's degree, online or journalism preferred
- At least one year's experience in newspaper or Web journalism
- Basic knowledge of CSS
- Intermediate knowledge of HTML required; advanced preferred. You need to be able to look at raw HTML that you've never seen before and figure out what it's doing.
- Experience managing WordPress sites
- Basic Photoshop, audio & video editing experience (we use iMovie
- A solid grounding in Microsoft Excel
- An abiding love for local news
- Demonstrated management skills
- A willingness to work odd hours, as needed
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sales Account Executives.
We are seeking talented Sales Account Executives to join our high-performing team in print and online media sales. You will be responsible for mining new leads, making sales presentations, managing existing accounts, and selling new business. The ideal candidate has been a successful sales person, loves D.C., and excels in cultivating relationships with area businesses. Qualities of qualified candidates include: Excellent written and verbal command of the English language; Attention to detail and follow through; Audience based selling approach; Outgoing, inspirational and influential personality; Upbeat, positive attitude; Ability to generate your own business; Likes to think creatively for clients. This position offers you full product training, a base salary plus commission on all sales, bonuses, and recognition. First year potential is $50K+. We offer full benefits: medical/dental/life insurance, 401k, paid vacation and holidays. This is a great time to join our organization; a well-established alternative publishing leader celebrating 30 years in the market with an upward trajectory. Washington City Paper is Washington D.C.'s award-winning alternative newspaper with the largest weekly circulation of any publication in the city. City Paper reaches more than a half-million loyal readers in the Washington, D.C. area with their thought-provoking investigative news stories, arts and entertainment sensibility, restaurant reviews, and breaking local news. Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and sales history to Amy Austin, Publisher, email@example.com, Reference Job Number 101513A in the subject line.