White-Clad Flash Mob Picnic Dîner en Blanc Is Coming to D.C.
Want to dress up in all white for a flash mob picnic where you have to bring your own white-clothed table, chairs, and fine china? Your chance is coming: The pop-up phenomenon known as Dîner en Blanc is making its debut in D.C. on Sept. 4.
Originally inflicted on residents of Paris, the epicurean event will be located in a mystery public space revealed to participants only a couple hours before the dinner begins. Your only clue? “The site chosen is in one of the most beautiful parts of the city, where diners can ‘see and be seen',” according to a press release. The organizers are already anticipating that more than 1,200 people will attend the dinner, which they describe as “equal parts mystery tour, pop-up feast, and je ne sais quoi.”
Guests have to bring their own seating arrangements and must be "dressed elegantly" in head-to-toe white. Proper stemware, flatware, and china are required, according to the outlined rules. (Yes, there are many rules—see below.) And remember: even the table setting has to be all white. (Don’t forget to Bring Your Own Tablecloth.) Attendees can bring their own meals—ahem, “epicurean feasts”—or purchase a picnic dinner at the time of registration. Champagne and wine (presumably also white?) are also available for purchase, but beer and hard liquor are prohibited. The fête also includes live music, dancing, (white) balloons, and sparklers. Near the end of the evening, a trumpet sounds and guests pack up everything, leaving no trail of what happened behind.
The hosts for the D.C. Dîner en Blanc include Justin’s Cafe owner Justin Ross, congressional-staffer-turned-event-planner Bryer Davis, and event planner/hospitality vet Linda Davis.
Similar events are set to take place in 50 cities around the world this year. Interested in participating? Sign up by Aug. 30 at washington.dinerenblanc.info/register.
Check out more rules, via a press release, below:
Key rules of the event
- Dîner en Blanc is unique due to its requirements. The seating layout on the public site is very specific and the site chosen is in one of the most beautiful parts of the city, where diners can “see and be seen.”
- To participate, guests must be invited by a member from the previous year or get on the official website’s waiting list.
- Once confirmed, each guest’s participation becomes mandatory, regardless of weather conditions, as the event goes ahead rain or shine.
- Color of attire and table setting: WHITE ONLY!
- Participants arrive and depart by organized meeting locations and instructions.
- Guests leave with their belongings, leftovers and litter, leaving the secret location as clean as it was when they arrived.
Guests must bring
- A table, two (white) chairs.
- A picnic basket – Gourmet picnic dinners available for purchase at time of registration. Proper stemware, flatware, and china required.
- Wine or champagne – Selection of wine available for purchase at the time of registration. Beer and hard liquor prohibited.
- Participants and media must be dressed elegantly in white.
- Stylish and tasteful originality is encouraged!