Get Your Growlers at D’Vines in Columbia Heights
Clear some room in your fridge. After a year and a half of waiting and planning, specialty wine and beer shop D'Vines is selling growlers again. The Columbia Heights store relaunched its beer-to-go program Monday evening with pours of 17 craft beers and free 64-ounce containers to the first 100 customers.
According to manager George Aguilar, the tap list will be up to 28 by next week. In addition to an impressive number of lines, his state-of-the-art growler station includes a large-screen display, sanitizer for rinsing previously used containers, and a counter pressure filler that extends the life of an unopened bottle from a week to more than a month. (Slow down, hoarders: Growler beer still only lasts three or four days after being opened, regardless of how it's filled.)
D'Vines and sister shop De Vinos in Adams Morgan enjoyed a brief stint of growler sales but had to stop after the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration alerted Aguilar that the August 2011 D.C. law change allowing growler sales applied only to production breweries, not retail stores.
Thanks to the passing of a D.C. Council bill last December that reformed liquor laws in the District, grocery and liquor outlets, as well as brewpubs, now can legally fill and sell up to 64-ounce sealed containers of draft beer. D'Vines is selling both 32-ounce (quart) and 64-ounce (half-gallon) fills up until one hour before closing seven days a week. Current draft lists are udpated on their website.
Check out the opening line-up, which includes a few "vintage" kegs that were kept after the 2011 smackdown, below. Silver lining?
- Hofbrau Hefeweizen
- Bell's Two Hearted
- Great Lakes Rye of the Tiger
- Jolly Pumpkin Calabaza Blanca (2010)
- Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
- Oskar Blues G'Knight 2011
- Port City Porter
- Anchor Brewing Old Foghorn 2011
- Bitburger Hefeweizen
- Bell's Brewing Double Cream Stout
- DC Brau/Union Craft Brewing Yonder Cities Farmhouse IPA
- DC Brau The Public
- DC Brau/Hop Union Colliding Hemispheres
- DC Brau Seasons in the Field
- DC Brau/Ska Brewing Taster's Choice Coffee Doppelbock
- Devils Backbone The Congo Belgian Pale Ale
- Flying Dog Single Hop El Dorado IPA
- Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron (2010, 2011, 2012)
D'Vines is located at 3103 14th ST., NW.
Photo by Tammy Tuck