D.C. Beer Week Picks for Tuesday
D.C. Beer Week is well underway. So whether you've taken advantage of the numerous events that have already happened or are preparing to venture out to your first one tonight, we're here to help direct you to where you want to go. Below are The Lagerheads' picks for tonight.
We predict that you'll get your money's worth in knowledge at the Dogfish Head Ancient Ales Tasting and Lecture at The Brickskeller. Sales manager Claus Hagelman will guide you through several of the Delaware brewery's recreations of ales from long ago. Likely brews are Midas Touch, based on molecular evidence found in a Turkish tomb believed to have belonged to King Midas, Chateau Jiahu a recipe unearthed from a 9000 year old tomb in China, Theobroma, an unfiltered, 9%-ABV beer brewed with honey, ancho chilies, ground annatto seeds, cocoa nibs, and cocoa powder, or Sah'tea, beer brewed with rye, juniper, and Black Chai Tea based on a 9th century Finnish recipe. Doors open at 6:00pm, tasting begins around 7:00pm.
The four-course pairing menu at Little Miss Whiskey's Golden Dollar looks like it will be the most bang for your buck. Twenty dollars will get you four 4.5-oz. beer samples and tasting portions of dishes prepared by Queen Vic chef Adam Stein. The menu includes:
- Hofbräu Hefeweizen with Salad of Pickled Clam & Thinly Sliced Pork Loin w/ Cilantro, Thai Basil & Citrus Vinaigrette
- Paulaner Salvator Dopperbock with Tacos de Lengua w/ Cabbage Slaw & Grilled Chile Salsa
- Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA with Korean Style Short Ribs w/ Bali Pepper & Ginger Beer Marinade, served w/ Fresh Kimchi
- Hoppin Frog B.O.R.I.S The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout with Sweet Corncakes & Oatmeal Stout Custard sauced w/ Charred Peach Caramel
You can score some very had-to-get beer at the Vintage Chimay Tasting at Belga Café tonight, but you'll pay for it. If you like strong, dark Belgian beers you probably won't regret laying down $59 for a chance to sample three different vintage Chimays: Chimay Grand Reserve 750ml 2010 Vintage, Chimay 3L Jeroboam 2009 Vintage, and the extremely rare Chimay 6L Methusalah 2007 Vintage. If American craft beer is more your thing, we think you will be in for a pleasant surprise at The Big Hunt's "Local" Beer Night, especially any of you who didn't get to Room 11 in time to sample the Pennsylvania brewery's Mad King Weiss or Gassy Jack Bitter last night. [UPDATE: The Big Hunt will have Victory Baltic Thunder Porter, Hop Wallop Imperial IPA, and Saison du Buff.]
A look at the list below places most events on H Street Corridor or in Dupont Circle tonight, so if you're looking for a 'hood do some D.C. Beer Week bar crawling in, we suggest either of those parts of town.
- Adam Stein Beer Dinner at Little Miss Whiskey's Golden Dollar (6:00-8:00pm, $20)
- Brisket & Brews with He'Brew Ales at Star and Shamrock (6:00-9:00pm)
- Brooklyn Brawl Beer & Cheese Tasting at Kramerbooks/Afterwords Cafe (6:00-9:00pm, $5 to $7 per pairing)
- "Local" Beer Night at The Big Hunt (6:00pm-Close)
- Harpoon Pints for Putts at H Street Country Club (6:30-9:30pm)
- Racer 5 IPA & Dangerously Delicious Pies at Justin's Cafe (6:30-Close, $10 for a pie-beer combo)
- Vintage Chimay Tasting at Belga Café (6:30-8:30pm, $59)
- Dogfish Ancient Ales Tasting at The Brickskeller (7:00-9:00pm, $35)
- Pizza Night with 21st Amendment Brewing at 18th Amendment (7:00-9:00pm)
- Great Lakes Beer Dinner at Café Saint-Ex (7:00-10:00pm, $65)
- Oliver's "Brewmaster Presents" with Stephen Jones at Meridian Pint