Another D.C. Beer Week? Yes, Please.
Update: Through some legal snafu, Brew at the Zoo will not be technically affiliated with D.C. Beer Week. All events are still on, though. For beer drinkers, this mostly means that you won't see them listed on the same poster.
It's official now: The festivities will run from Aug. 16 to 21, and so far 15 tastings, happy hours, meet-the-brewers, food pairings, and plain old drinking parties have been announced. There's lots of H Street NE action, what with one of the organizers being Teddy Folkman of Granville Moore's.
Brew at the Zoo still seems like the main event, but The party ends on Friday with a Nats game featuring a discount for Beer Week attendees. (They're playing the Milwaukee Brewers, natch.)
SUNDAY, AUG. 16.
- D.C. Beer Week “Unity Jam” at Rock & Roll Hotel — The week kicks off with a classic pairing: music and beer. For $20 you can buy ten 4 oz. sample pours of rare craft beers. No word on the beer lineup, but tune providers include: See-I, The Blackjacks, Laura Tsagaris Band, and The Jeff Wells Band. Beers include: Abita Abbey Ale, Allagash Double, Allagash Four, Brooklyn Local One, Brooklyn Octoberfest, Troegs Dead Reckoning Porter, Victory V-Saison (2008 vintage), and Victory St. Boistorous. 2-8 p.m., $10.
- Unity Jam After Party at The Pug — Featuring their usual lineup of craft beer in cans and, according to the press release, free cheese puffs. 8:30 p.m.
MONDAY, AUG. 17
- Allagash Beer Dinner With Rob Tod at Granville Moore's — A five-course, six-beer dinner with Allagash President and Brewmaster Rob Tod. Beer lineup includes: Hugh Malone, White, Dubbel, Tripel, Curieux, and Black.
Menu: Meat and Cheese Plate; Roasted Beet Salad with Orange-Cumin Vinaigrette, Boucheron, Arugula; House Cured Pork Belly with Collard Greens; Crudo of White Toro with Rainier Cherries; Allagash-Marinated Lamb Shoulder with Melon-Pistachio Cous Cous; House-Made Cheesecake. $75.
- Sausage, Cheese, and Beerliciousness at Big Hunt — A hard trinity of food-beer pairings to argue with. Includes beers from some big boys of craft: Allagash, Bell's, Brooklyn, Dogfish Head, Troegs, and Victory. 7 p.m., $25.
- Dogfish Head Happy Hour at Brasserie Beck — Beck breaks from their all-Belgian mantra to pour drafts of Raison D'Etre, Fort, and Theobroma. 5-7 p.m.
- Chimay Vintage Beer and Cheese Tasting at Birreria Paradiso – Try Chimay Blanche on draft and their vintage Grande Reserve (the fancy one) with rich and nutty Chimay cheese. 5 p.m.
- "Hop Times in the City: A Beer Tasting for Hopheads & the People Who Love Them at The Black Squirrel – A tongue-scraping lineup of extreme offerings from Bear Republic, Green Flash, Avery, Dogfish Head, and Speakeasy, co-hosted by bloggeroo cohort DC Beer. For extra doses of ridiculous, the tasting also includes a hop cocktail and hop ice cream. 7:30-10 p.m., $40.
TUESDAY, AUG. 18
- Rogue Oregon Oyster and Ale Festival at The Reef — 1,000 Yequina Bay Oysters are being flown in from Newport, Ore. to our collective bellies. Pair the oysters and other food specials with Captain Sig's Deadliest Ale and "something imperial" on draft, plus a few bottles. Specials available 5-10 p.m.
- Brooklyn Brewery Beer and Cheese Tasting with Cowgirl Creamery at Café Saint-Ex — Think about the Cowgirl fromagophiles' evocative cheese descriptions. Now add Brooklyn beer. 7 p.m.
- Abita Beer Crawfish Boil at the Argonaut — New Orleans' dominant brewery will bring a boatload of crawfish and introduce it to a nice, warm bath. 6 p.m.
- Terrapin Beer Event at Galaxy Hut — Try beers on tap from the Athens, Ga. brewery: Big Hoppy Monster IPA, Sunray Wheat, India Brown Ale, and Rye Pale Ale — the latter of which is a Beerspotter desert island pick. 6 p.m.
WEDNESDAY, AUG. 19
- Hitting the Cycle at Marvin — Drink Smuttynose Star Island Single, Brooklyn Local #2, Allagash Tripel, and Weyerbacher Quad, with a dinner buffet of Belgian food. Also includes a drawing for tickets to the Aug. 21 Nats-Brewers game. 40 tickets are available in all. 5:30 p.m., $35.
- Belgian Beer Invades the Capitol at Capitol Lounge — Discounts on Belgian and Belgian-style beer, food specials, and beer chat with Larissa Hill of Granville Moore's. 4-11 p.m.
- Coney Island Freak Show at Palace of Wonders — In a match made in hell, the founders of Schmaltz Brewing Co. (makers of Coney Island lagers and Hebrew ales) present their big, creative beers with a freak show backdrop. 8 p.m.
- Meet the Brewer Happy Hour at District Chophouse – Meet the talented Barrett Lauer and check out his shiny brewing setup. Half-price beers from 3-7 p.m.
- Drink to Victory at CommonWealth Gastropub – Beer and food pairings, plus seasonal Victory beers and a pair of brews on cask. 5-10 p.m.
- Terrapin Launch Party at Rustico – Featuring all four Terrapin flagship beers as well as the 2008 Big Hoppy Monster and, new from their Side Project Series, Maggie's Farmhouse Ale. Free Terrapin glass with every beer you buy. 6 p.m.
THURSDAY, AUG. 20
- Brew at the Zoo at the National Zoo —
The main event ofThis event has nothing to do with D.C. Beer Week, but it features 35 microbreweries, including Sierra Nevada, Dogfish Head, Brooklyn, Smuttynose, Great Divide, and Stoudt's. Anheuser-Busch InBev is also pouring, so you can quaff that presidential Bud Light. 6-9 p.m., $35 for FONZ members, $50 for nonmembers.
- Brew at the Zoo After Party at Asylum — After the [completely unrelated] beer fest, swap pandas for drunks as a backdrop, at a place that always surprises with one or two great finds on tap. 9:30 p.m.
- Troegs Pint Night at the Red & the Black — Taste tasty Troegs and snatch a free pint glass at H Street's sleeper venue for good beer. 7 p.m.
FRIDAY, AUG. 21
- Nationals v. Milwaukee Brewers, D.C. Beer Week Special – Drink the Nationals Park's awesome new microbrews while watching the punniest beer-related sporting event since Bud Bowl. Drafts include Bell's Kalamazoo Stout and Stone Arrogant Bastard! Come on! Beer Week attendees receive 25 percent off tickets in selected areas — enter the super-secret promo code (“Beer”) to receive the discount. 7:05 p.m.
- DC Beer Week Happy Hour at RFD – Nurse (or feed) your Beer Week hangover with specials on Allagash, Bell's, and Dogfish Head beers. As a bonus, catch the worst team in baseball live on TV. 4-8 p.m.