Daily Food Blog Roundup: A Few of My Favorite Things
After last week, in which Y&H spent more time with his computer than his bed, his wife, and his dog combined, and after a full weekend of cooking, eating, and cooking some more, Y&H is ready to ease into his week with some of his favorite blogs.
- Alinea at Home overcomes her fear of the Brine-land to create these little Grant Achatz flavor poppers.
- Amuse Bouche would rather sip an Emerald than chug green beer on St. Paddy's Day. She's even turned to an unlikely source for alternatives to malted beverages, a men's magazine.
- NotionsCapitol has spotted a new trend in the local, seasonal movement: Chefs incorporating Girl Scout cookies into their recipes. Y&H is trying to imagine the negotiations between the chefs and the GS suppliers: "Listen, I don't care if you are 13 and need three more patches, I expect a goddamn discount on the price when I purchase 100 boxes of Thin Mints."
- Metrocurean has the scoop on Mick Mier, co-owner of 1905, opening a coffee shop on 14th Street NW called Mid-City Cafe.
- Counter Intelligence has launched a weekly feature, Pair Up, in which she asks bartenders, sommeliers, mixologists, and others to suggest food-and-drink pairings. Personally, Y&H is still impressed with John Wabeck's indulgent suggestion on what to pair with the tricky poached lobster and braised short-rib ravioli at Inox: a red and a white, in this case a Bordeaux blend and a white Burgundy. That's my kind of thinking.
Photo courtesy of Alinea at Home.