* HUD claims that transgender people are protected against housing discrimination via the Fair Housing Act's prohibition against "gender discrimination"—even though the law doesn't specifically list gender identity discrimination as prohibited.
Posts Tagged ‘Susannah Breslin’
* SAFER Campus asks why reproductive coercion—or birth control sabotage—ain't criminalized yet. One woman shares her story, naturally, on Facebook:
* s.e. smith has an excellent discussion of how the "Smile, Baby" phenomenon intersects with both feminism and disability:
My baby mouth was turned down, exactly like my fourth grade mouth, exactly like my mouth right now. That’s because that’s the neutral position for my mouth. . . . People have hassled me about this for [...]
* Problem: girls in developing countries have a lower "school life expectancy" than boys. Is the solution as easy as sending over some sanitary pads? The World Bank has claimed that girls in developing countries "may miss up to 20 percent of school because of menstruation," but a new study by economists Emily Oster and [...]
I've been fascinated by the dust-up over "trigger warnings" that's inched across the feminist blogosphere this week. "Trigger warnings," for the uninitiated, are warnings placed before blog posts that touch on certain subject areas (or particularly graphic presentations of them) that could possibly "trigger" the past trauma of a survivor of sexual assault or abuse. [...]
Mmm hmm, yeah, are you hot yet, ladies?
Quick quiz! Does the sight of bonobos fornicating, paired with the sounds of chimpanzees fornicating, turn you on?
- If you answered "NO," you are a man.
- If you answered "NO," but are secretly lying, you are a woman.
Yesterday on Slate's "XX Factor," Susannah Breslin penned a short post [...]