* The New Gay is looking for stories of people affected by a lack of ENDA. "Fired from your job for being gay, lesbian, bi or trans? Do you feel that no one cares about your lack of livelihood born from our governments systematic betrayal of its own people? Now you can do [...]
Posts Tagged ‘queer’
GLAA Forum points to the Whitman-Walker Clinic's new TV spots. The twin ads target the health clinic's two main demographics separately—LGBT patients (in the above ad) and HIV-positive patients (in the ad after the jump). I wonder if reaching out to D.C.'s HIV-positive residents requires distancing Whitman-Walker's AIDS care piece from its LGBT health piece. [...]
* Via GLAA Forum, The Nation reports on queer youth in juvenile detention facilities.
Last week, we took a close eye to the lack of transgender data in D.C.'s first LGB Health report. This Wednesday, the D.C. Council will do the same in a public oversight roundtable on the report. Councilmember Yvette Alexander scheduled the meeting after her office "received complaints from various organizations that were troubled by [...]
Last week on the Sexist, we took a look at potential complications facing trans patients at local hospitals. Commenters weighed in with their own experiences:
* Scientific American's Jesse Bering debunks feminism:
The first woman president (second from L) meets the first black president (second from R)
* Happy birthday, "post-racial America"! Writing in the Washington Post, Kathleen Parker does not see race. In response to criticism that calling Barack Obama the first woman president was (among other things) racist, Parker pens a column explaining that she can't [...]
* Via BLOgT: Even ex-gays are allowed to wear fabulous scarves.
* Via Sociological Images, a recent Marie Claire fashion shoot declares that "nude is the new black." Except that by "nude," they mean "the color white people are." White people are the new black. It's science.
Worried that tomorrow's Capital Pride Parade won't be enough sex-and-gender related activity for one day? Pass the time before and after with an ad-hoc sexuality conference by day, and gay balloon dinos on stilts by night: