In the two years I've written The Sexist, I've offended Catholics, sorority sisters, former homosexuals, Tucker Max fans, breast massagers, a child's sense of innocence, the Huffington Post, heterosexual men, librarians, and the producer of a novelty product designed to keep a man's balls dry when receiving oral sex. And all I got was this [...]
Author Archive for Amanda Hess
Just after midnight on Sept. 8, 2008, D.C. police found Serbennia Chase hiding down the street from the Skylark Lounge strip club covered in her ex-boyfriend’s blood. Chase, who worked at the club as a dancer, admitted to stabbing the man in the neck with a knife outside the club. She was [...]
Creepiest wedding gift in human history? You decide:
The present I humbly send her today is this column; this public note, this irrevocable display of affection and support and gratitude; this worldly absolution from any guilt or sadness she felt between the time she said no to me and the time she said [...]
FOX5 investigates why some D.C. special events—including D.C.'s traditional Halloween drag event, the Dupont "High Heel" race—aren't forced to pay the city fees for the D.C. police officers employed as security for the parades. Kristopher Baumann, Chairman of the Fraternal Order of Police's Labor Committee, suggests that the city money used to subsidize the parties [...]
On Friday, Pepin Tuma filed suit against the District of Columbia—and MPD officer James Culp—for violating his constitutional rights. Tuma's suit concerns a year-old U Street incident, in which Tuma announced in a sing-song voice, "I hate the police"—and Culp responded by arresting Tuma for disorderly conduct and calling him a "faggot."
Yesterday, D.C. Police Chief [...]
* NOM's nationwide "One Man, One Woman" bus tour takes a turn: Dude with sign voices support for lynching gays.
Last week, a brief history of racism among participants in the Washington Post Magazine Date Lab inspired some spirited defenses of racial preferences in the boudoir—and some polite rejections of the idea that one's blind date is merely acceptable "for an Asian guy." Let's take a look!:
On July 26, 2009, Pepin Tuma and two friends were strolling down U Street, discussing "the excessive use of police powers" in the recent arrest of Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates. Within "seconds," Tuma says an MPD officer had him pushed up against a utility box, handcuffed, and arrested for "disorderly conduct." Last Friday, Tuma [...]
* HUD claims that transgender people are protected against housing discrimination via the Fair Housing Act's prohibition against "gender discrimination"—even though the law doesn't specifically list gender identity discrimination as prohibited.
Last week on the Sexist:
1. Buttman v. The Man, in which milk enemas manage to disgust, but fail to offend, D.C. jurors.
2. A Brief History of Date Lab Racism, in which I was hoping to be hooked up with someone less racist, but he's cute so I'll keep an open mind.
3. But Was She Wearing [...]