Last week, University of Virginia student Madeleine Conger pointed me to some bizarre language the university has been employing to tip-toe around the word "rape"in its student safety e-mails. "Our Chief Student Affairs Officer, Pat Lampkin, sends us these handy safety reminders before major binge drinking holidays—Halloween, Spring break, fraternity bid night," Conger [...]
Archive for April, 2010
* Today is "Boobquake," the day where women are encouraged to show excessive amounts of cleavage in order to disprove the theory of Iranian cleric Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi, who posited that scantily-dressed women cause earthquakes. Local participants are encouraged to haul their breasts over to Dupont Circle from noon to 12:30 p.m. As for me, [...]
Last week on the Sexist:
1. Denim Day Counts All the Ways We Excuse Sexual Assault, in which sexual assaults against good girls, bad girls, drunk girls, old people, young people, all men, military personnel, prisoners, sex workers, trans women, and all GLBT people are excused away.
2. With Great Cleavage Comes Great Responsibility, in which boobs [...]
Watch CBS News Videos Online
In the world of sexual assault prevention, the work of University of Massachusetts psychologist David Lisak has gained some serious traction. Lisak has spent the past 20 years studying men who commit acquaintance rapes. In the past year, that work has been dissected by feminist blogs, employed in an investigative report from [...]
This week, disabled feminist blogger Annaham wrote a piece about dealing with Internet harassment of the international, televised, celebrity-sanctioned, horrible-death-threat variety.
And Salon writer Taffy Brodesser-Akner wrote a piece about dealing with Internet harassment of the if-you-experienced-PTSD-after-a-traumatic-childbirth-then-you-sound-like-a-bitch-who-just-shouldn't-ever-reproduce variety.
And recently, Sady Doyle of Tiger Beatdown wrote a piece about dealing with Internet harassment by loudly and publicly [...]
* I am one of those magical unicorns who suppresses her period with hormonal birth control. I do this for three reasons:
In an episode of Isabella Rossellini's new animal sex series, "Seduce Me," Rossellini acts out a scene of "forced copulation" between ducks (fair warning: video depiction of anthropomorphized duck rape ahoy). While costumed as a female duck, Rossellini exclaims, "Ouch! Ouch! One of them is raping me! I don’t care." The line prompts sex educator [...]
The cataloging of sexual euphemisms in rap music continues. This time:
EUPHEMISM: "Baby Leg."
Face Time: Should campus crime alerts name student perps?
Three recent crimes reported to the George Washington University, and how the university identified their perpetrators to students and staff:
• Crime No. 1. On Feb. 15, former G.W. mailroom worker James Markley was arrested for making a “non-specific threat” to faculty [...]
* On Holla Back DC, a group of women endure street harassment by teabagger.