FOX 5: Prostitutes “Too Gross To Describe,” Speak To
For two weeks, FOX 5 trained "secret cameras" on the intersection of 11th & K NW in an attempt to catch sex workers in the act. FOX 5's investigation revealed "ladies of the night hitting the streets in broad daylight." But while reporter Tisha Thompson's work included the requisite indignant neighbors, official police commentary, and the money shots (sex workers adjusting their underwear), there was one thing FOX 5 couldn't get: a comment from one single sex worker. How demeaning is this segment? Let me count the ways:
1. The anchor describes the footage of the sex workers as "unsavory" and "unnerving."
2. That footage of sex workers? FOX 5 sets it to a sexy hip-hop beat.
3. Oh, and the most "unnerving" thing about it? These sex workers have the audacity to work during the day. Those whores belong under the cover of darkness!
3. When Thompson delivers the line, "It's six o’clock in the morning and sharing the sidewalks with joggers, tourists and commuter buses: prostitutes," she actually says the last part like this: "PROSTITUTES."
4. The sex workers in the footage are almost completely blurred out—not just their faces, but in some cases, their entire bodies.
5. "Neighbors" aren't just upset about the illegal activity—they're also just totally grossed out by the sex workers.
"But neighbors say it's not just the sex. They're also frustrated by what else happens on the streets," Thompson says. "Our camera caught one woman leaving a client’s car. She walks to a bus stop, then fixes her bra, her dress, and then does something we can't even show you on TV, in full view of morning traffic."
In the print version, Thompson describes the "too hot for TV" moment as "something too gross to describe."
Let's go to the tape:
I'm betting she's adjusting her vagina or something, but how would I know? FOX 5 just plopped a "CENSORED" button on top of a completely blurred-out woman! I guess you can never be too safe when it comes to a sight as disgusting as a prostitute.
6. So, if even the "neighbors" are upset about this blurry woman likely adjusting her vagina in front of morning traffic, how do you think she feels? Oh, right: FOX didn't bother to ask her.