The Sexist

University of Chicago Junior Launches “Men in Power” Group

Steve Saltarelli, a Junior at the University of Chicago, has launched a student group that "promises to help men get ahead professionally." The group is called "Men in Power," and it started as a satirical article that Saltarelli penned in student newspaper The Chicago Maroon.

Umm, I guess that explains the name.

Saltarelli is now the group's president. As it turns out, some students didn't think Saltarelli's column was so funny—they thought it was awesome! And so, "Shortly after the column ran, Saltarelli started getting e-mail messages from men eager to join." Say it with me: White Men in Power!

But what about before the group was real—and was really actually called "Men in Power"? What about when this was all just "satire"? Let's take a look at Saterelli's satirical "Men in Power" pitch, published in the Maroon on March 2.

Saltarelli's main argument is that women's advocacy groups on campus—like "the Feminist Majority, the National Organization for Women, and Women in Business"—are nothing more than unnecessary girls' clubs that box out 50 percent of the male population to hoard all of the University of Chicago student group funding. "I know what you’re thinking," Saltarelli writes. "This sounds really misogynistic."

First of all, how does Steve Saltarelli know what I'm thinking? Second, this sounds really misogynistic! He writes:

I assure you, however, that the group would not be against or in any way attempt to inhibit the advancement of women. We would simply advocate for men in the same manner that female groups advocate for women. Anyone with an interest in both studying and learning from men in powerful positions, as well as issues involved with reverse sexism, may become a member of MiP.

So, Saltarelli thinks women's groups are unnecessary, and also sexist. He chooses to bolster this argument by pointing out how unnecessary and sexist a "Men in Power" group would actually be (remember: it's actually actual now!):

* "Many don’t realize that men are in power all around us—in fact, the last 44 presidents have been men, including our own Barack Obama," he writes.

* "Firstly, we will be hosting weekly study breaks/screenings of movement-oriented films, including: A Few Good Men, 12 Angry Men, Men of Honor (and many other Cuba Gooding Jr. masterpieces), All the President’s Men, and—of course—X-Men," he writes.

* "As should be the case with any RSO, social responsibility will take a front-seat role in MiP. Through our “Little Men in Power” program, we hope to provide middle school and elementary students with the skills and knowledge necessary to become the next generation of this country’s leaders," he writes.

Okay, Saltarelli, you've convinced me—"Men in Power" is unnecessary and sexist. But what about the part where you convince me that the Feminist Majority and Women in Business—two groups whose names explicitly fight against the status quo—are unnecessary. According to Drew Carey (okay I can't fucking track down any other statistics at this point), only 29 percent of American women identify as feminists. Meanwhile, 2.6 percent of Fortune 500 CEOs are female. Why might that be? Oh yeah, because our country full of unofficial "Men in Power" groups in workplaces, in the media, and in the government—a point that you made yourself, and then completely discarded when you actually formed this group.

Here's the thing, Saltarelli: Some aspects of the group sound interesting, actually. I'd totally go to the first scheduled "Men in Power" event, "a student panel discussion titled 'Gender and Media: Trespassing the Taboo'" (umm, depending on what the taboo is). And the end goal of "raising awareness of the male experience" sounds like it would start a lot of good conversations with those feminist groups Saltarelli is so pissed about. Plus, X-Men is pretty cool.

But could we just get somebody—anybody—to tackle these issues on a college campus and try to get a little bit further than Two and a Half Men territory?

Photo by freeparking

• Marc A.

Men in Power is not sexist. Historically, both men and women were limited and discriminated against by gender roles. Men have been systematically discrimination against in child custody, forced labor laws, military conscription, domestic violence policies, criminal sentencing, public health policies, public benefits, genital intactment laws, paternity laws, nursing school admission, dating expectations, and more. Men account for 80-90% of job deaths, homeless adults, prisoners, combat deaths, and suicide deaths, are the majority of dropouts and special education students, and die younger and more often than women for the ten leading causes of death. Warren Farrell, Ph.D., “The Myth of Male Power; Why Men Are the Disposable Sex.” Below is a summary of men’s rights issues, followed by links to articles on the growing, global men’s rights movement worldwide.

Those who focus only on gender disparities at the top of society (government, CEOs) tend to ignore the bottom of society, where men make 80-90% of homeless, job deaths, incarcerations, the majority of dropouts, suicide deaths, etc., 99% of combat deaths, and die younger and more often for the ten leading causes of death. The only reason for the disparity at the top is that women have more options than men to be primary parents instead of having to slave away at high stress, high hour jobs, and they exercise that choice. That is the only reason for the “pay gap,” which only looks at yearly incomes and doesn’t account for overtime (90% male), commute times, hour flexibility, etc. See this report with a forward by the Dept. of Labor.

Fathers have historically been discriminated against in child custody proceedings. The “tender years” doctrine, which presumes that during a child's tender years (generally regarded as age 13 and under), the custody of the child should be that of the mother's, was written right into the law during the 19th Century. It has been replaced by the “best interests of the child” doctrine, but it is still alive and well in family law. As late as 1971, the Minnesota State Bar Association's handbook advised lawyers and judges that "except in very rare cases, the father should not have custody of the minor children. He is usually unqualified psychologically and emotionally.” Time Magazine, 11 November 2003, "Father Makes Two" by Margot Roosevelt.,9171,1101011119-183968,00.html
    Dads usually ask for 50% custody while moms ask for and usually get 80% custody. Fathers are relegated to visitors and must pay high child support with hardly any enforcement of their parenting time. False accusations are rarely prosecuted and are often used to gain an upper hand in divorce and custody. See, Sanford Braver, Ph.D., "Divorced Dads; Shattering the Myths." See also, "Cynthia McNeeley, "Lagging Behind the Times, Parenthood, Custody and Gender Bias in the Family Court,"
    An Urban Institute study entitled "What About the Dads?" found that CPS case workers attempted to contact fathers of children at risk in their mothers care only a little over half the time. That was true even though they knew the father's identity in 86% of cases.
    Fathers are also frequently subjected to false accusations in order to gain an advantage in divorce. The California State Bar has expressed deep concern about the rising abuse of restraining orders in divorce.

Men die younger than women and have higher death rates than women for the ten leading causes of death. Men account for 80-90% of homeless adults, job deaths and suicide deaths. They make the majority of special education students and are more likely to skip a grade or drop out of high school. Almost every chronic illness affects men more often than women. Men more often have mental disabilities but are less often treated. The American Journal of Public Health (5/03) has declared that men are in a silent health crisis.
    But men’s health has nonetheless been neglected. There are 7 federal offices of women’s health and similar offices at every level of government but no offices of men’s health except one in Georgia. Among cancer funding, breast cancer gets by far the most, to the point where it is known as a horde of existing cancer funds. For decades, the National Cancer Institute spent about four times more on breast cancer research than on prostate cancer research. Men’s Health Magazine did an entire story on how all other government sources, including the Department of Defense, have funded breast cancer at far higher and disproportionate rates compared to prostate cancer.
    It is frequently claimed that women were excluded from medical testing. This is complete exaggeration and has been refuted by Dr. Sally Satel of Yale University and others. Young C, Satel S. M.D., “The Myth of Gender Bias in Medicine”; Satel S: PC, M.D.:, “How Political Correctness is Corrupting Medicine.” Historically, women participated in 95% of NIH clinical trials going back to the early 1970s. Men have historically been underrepresented in research on cancer, reproductive health, and sex hormones. In the past, gender representation in medical research was approximately equal. Now, men represent only 37% of participants in NIH funded research, and gender-specific budgets favor women by more than a 2:1 margin. See this report by Men’s Health America.
    The most recent research on criminal sentencing shows that men still get higher penalties than women. Seattle Times, “State courts unfair to men, minorities, UW study suggests,”
    This confirms what previous studies have found, which is that men get higher sentences than women for the same crime even when all other factors are equal (age, race, priors, family situation, etc.), and that "gender differences, favoring women, are more often found than race differences, favoring whites.” (Crime and Delinquency, 1989, v 35, pp 136-168.)
    A study published in Justice Quarterly in 1986 found that, for the same felony, being male increased the chance of incarceration by 165% (being black increased the chance 19%).
    The gender of the victim matters as well. A drunk driver will receive an average of a 3-year higher sentence for killing a female than for killing a male (compared to a 2-year higher sentence for killing a white instead of a black). (“Unconventional Wisdom,” Washington Post, Sept. 7, 2000.) Researchers Edward Glaeser (Harvard) and Bruce Sacerdote (Dartmouth) examined 2,800 homicide cases randomly drawn from 33 urban counties by the Bureau of Justice Statistics and found killing a female instead of a male increased sentences by 40.6% (compared to 26.8% for killing a white instead of a black).
    For years, the Forced Labour Convention of 1930 exempted "able-bodied males" between ages 18 and 45 from the ban on slavery and forced labor. See Article 11 at Male slaves are frequently ignored by human rights laws and policies. Male slaves in China have trouble getting their slavemasters prosecuted because only women are protected from slavery.
    Male victims of domestic violence are systematically neglected, stigmatized, and denied outreach and services. But they are not rare at all. They're less likely to report it, which makes crime data unreliable. Virtually all sociological survey data consistently shows women initiate domestic violence at least as often as men and that men suffer one-third of injuries.
    Harvard Medical School just announced a study showing half of heterosexual domestic violence is reciprocal and women initiate most of the reciprocal and 70% of the non-reciprocal violence.
    A recent 32-nation study by the University of New Hampshire, which found women are as violent and as controlling as men in relationships globally, in both rich and poor nations.
    The federal Violence Against Women Act, though mostly gender-neutral, has some provisions that expressly discriminate against men, such as the entire Native American section that excludes American Indian men. Even the title itself stigmatizes and downplays the seriousness of male victims. We don't have a "Men's Occupational Safety and Health Act" just because 92% of occupational deaths happen to men.
    Historically, many anti-rape laws have expressly excluded male victims of rape from the same protections women receive. In England, funding for sex abuse victims is often denied for male victims. Recently, the largest study of molestation of street kids in Canada found ¾ of boys on the streets had been molested by women but there were still no programs for the boys, only for girls. According to the Montreal Gazette, in a study in South African found two-fifths of South African boys say they have been raped, “most often by adult women.”
    Male victims are frequently raped in prison and the military, but sometimes are raped elsewhere as well, and not just by men. A student survey showed 43% of teacher sex abuse comes from female teachers but over 90% of prosecutions are of male teachers. Many African men in Namibia are being raped and battered by women
    Men are also frequently victims of “sexual coercion” by women as well as by other men. (Sexuality and Culture, Summer 2000.) According to a May 2008 study by the University of New Hampshire, 28% of college women and 11% of college men experienced unwanted sexual contact and the perpetrator was a member of the opposite sex 98% of the time for girls and 91% of the time for boys. See Table 1 at
    Almost every month we read of another man let free by DNA after years of incarceration due to a false rape accusation. False accusations of rape are a form of psychological rape that are not included in the traditional definition of “rape” but that affect men more than women. False accusations are hard to measure statistically. But studies show between 9% and 60% of rape accusations are false. A new study in India found that 18% of rape accusations are false and are often "coached."
    The U.S. Air Force study found 60% of rape accusations were false and the most common reasons for false rape accusations were: (1) spite or revenge; (2) feelings of guilt or shame; or, (3) to cover up an affair. Mental illness also played a role. McDowell, Charles P., Ph.D. “False Allegations.” Forensic Science Digest, (publication of the U.S. Air Force Office of Special Investigations), Vol. 11, No. 4 (December 1985), p. 64.
    But false accusations are not studied enough because it's politically incorrect to talk about. Meanwhile the names of the accusers are often protected while the names of the accused are not.
    Males throughout the world are forced to fight wars, often at very young ages, while women are exempt. In the U.S., only males must register by the age of 18, and a large percentage of them have been drafted before they were even old enough to vote. The Vietnam Memorial has 58,000 male names and 8 female names. Women leaders have supported or declared wars, and women in the population have supported wars at almost the same rate men have. For example, 76% of women and 86% of men supported the U.S. military attack in Kuwait and Iraq during the Gulf War. During the White Feather Campaign in England, women gave a white feather to men who refused to fight in WWI, to humiliate them and as a sign of their unmanliness.
    The "pay gap" is just a snapshot of yearly incomes. It does not account for overtime (which is about 90% male), the type of work done, or other important factors that, when accounted for, make the gap disappear. See Prof. June O'Neill, Ph.D. (former director of Congressional Budget Office), "The Gender Gap in Wages, circa 2000," American Economic Review, 5/03.
    In fact, the “pay gap” has been thoroughly refuted by a number of studies including this recent one that was funded by the Department of Labor and has a forward from them.
    In “Why Men Earn More, Warren Farrell, Ph.D. shows that there are 25 career/life choices men and women make (hours, commute times) that lead to men earning more and women having more balanced lives, and that men in surveys prioritize money while women prioritize flexibility, shorter hours, shorter commutes, less physical risk and other factors conducive to their choice to be primary parents, an option men still largely don't have. That's why never-married childless women outearn their male counterparts, and female corporate directors now outearn their male counterparts. Warren Farrell lists dozens of careers, including science fields, where women outearn men.
    women have more options than men to be primary parents, and many of them exercise that option rather than work long, stressful hours. One study found 57% of female graduates of Stanford and Harvard left the workforce within 15 years. This is an option few men have (try being a single male and telling women on the first date that you want to stay home). The pay gap only looks at yearly incomes but doesn’t account for these options or for overtime (90% male), commutes, flexibility, physical risk, etc.

Men are increasingly learning that the breadwinner role is more of a burden than a privilege. Studies show most men have no problem with their wives outearning them. Recent studies show most men do not mind if their spouses outearn them. Studies also show that parents share workloads more when mother’s learn to allow men to be primary or more involved parents. According to one study, up to 75% of working dads would quit or take a pay cut to spend more time with kids if their spouse’s could support the family.
    See also:
    ABC News: "Is the Wage Gap Women's Choice? Research Suggests Career Decisions, Not Sex Bias, Are at Root of Pay Disparity"
    A recent 25-nation study by economists from Berlin, Brussels and Texas, which included rich and poor nations, found men do as much work as women when all types of work are combined.
    A University of Maryland study found the total workloads of married mothers and fathers is roughly equal when paid work is added to child care and housework, at 65 hours a week for mothers and 64 hours for fathers.
    A University of Michigan study found women work an average of 11 hours more housework per week more than men while men an average of 14 hours per week more than women outside the home.
    For more, read the international bestseller, "The Myth of Male Power; Why Men Are the Disposable Sex" by Warren Farrell, Ph.D.
    The male foreskin is a highly-functioning sexual organ, not just a piece of skin. In a new study published in the British Journal of Urology International, scientists used fine-touch medical instruments on the male penis found that male circumcision removes the most sensitive part of the penis. (Morris L. Sorrells, James L. Snyder, Mark D. Reiss, Christopher Eden, Marilyn F. Milos, Norma Wilcox, Robert S. Van Howe, "Fine-touch pressure thresholds in the adult penis," British Journal of Urology International, v. 99, issue 4, p. 864, April 2007.) The full study is posted at
    Prior studies on this issue – which had mixed results – were unreliable because they were based upon self-reports of men who were either circumcised as adults for medical purposes or were circumcised as children and could not compare the difference. One of the study's authors, Dr. Robert Van Howe, explains that the male foreskin is concentrated with high-sensory nerve endings that are only found in our eyelids, lips and fingertips.
    The male foreskin is also gynecologically equivalent to the removal of the clitoral hood, one of three forms of female circumcision that is banned by international and human rights laws. See Darby, R. and Svoboda, J. S., 'A rose by any other name?; rethinking the similarities and differences between male and female genital cutting,' Medical Anthropology Quarterly (2007), Vol. 21, Issue 3, pp. 301-323.
    Yet infant male circumcision is still routinely practiced even though the American Board of Pediatrics has said there is no medical purpose for routine infant circumcision.
    MEXICO (men's rights march in Mexico City)

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO,0,4707353.story

ALPHA PHI ALPHA FRATERNITY (African-American Fraternity asks for a White House Commission on Men and Boys)

• Amanda Hess

Look who read a book!

• Jamie

Anything that annoys feminists this much has got to be a good thing.
    Don't ever back down guys!

• Sold

yes white men in power

• Amanda Hess

you do realize that it's "men in power" that are the judges, military officers, circumcisers, rapists, and captains of industry who have ensured these historical gender roles? women's groups are only about putting "women in power" because "power" is a position denied by the traditional female gender role. it would make more sense for your group to be called "men not required to be in power so much, if we don't want to be."

• Dave

When I read this I thought of Tom Cruise in Magnolia.

• James, NYC

Thanks to Marc A. for this extensive information, it looks like I have a lot of reading to do. I am very interested in exploring the possibilities of forming a real and well known organization that concentrates on restoring men's rights and fighting the oppression from the feminists and N.O.W. (an organization of anti-male bigots who have turned feminism into a worldide doctrine to feminize, defranchise and destroy men and boys). Eventually, if no-one else has done it first, I will be creating a website called "nationalorgformen" (The National Organization for Men) where men from all over the nation and other parts of the world can communicate and organize strategies to defeat this anti-male society. We have lost many of our rights over the last 30 years and enough is enough. Without organization and centralization, our goal of a full fledged men's rights movement will never become a reality.

• James, NYC

By the way, Marc A., I currently do have a website that I have not uploaded any content to yet. The name is not as straight forward as the one I'm planning for the future but anyone who links to it can help others find it. I would like to, with your permission, post the content you wrote above in it's entirety (citing your name of course) onto my website and then post links to the website at multiple men's rights forums and websites. Please let me know if this is okay, my email is tmfcomm[no-spam] (be sure to remove the "[no-spam]").Thanks.