Step Off, Couric: You’re Not Weezy’s Mom!
Katie Couric fell into some pretty serious mom jeans territory last night in her pre-Grammy interview with Lil' Wayne. How nerdy does Couric look compared to Weezy? Let me count the ways:
1. Why wait? Go on, date yourself immediately. Couric intro: "He's got the teeth, the 'tats . . . and the 'tude."
2. Minutes later, Couric manages the impossible: She makes amateur bowlers look cool when she hits the lanes with Lil' Wayne (conceivably, before they head over to the local malt shop to chill with the kids). When Weezy bowls a gutter ball, Couric calls out, "Don't worry, we'll edit that one out!" But she was totally lying!
3. "By the way what do I call you: 'Wayne'? 'Weezy'? 'Lil'?"
4. Way to emphasize the final "R" in the question, "What does it mean when you say you're a gangster?"
5. "Tell me about this drink, Wayne, that you like, called 'syrup.' It's ... prescription cough medicine?"
6. After Weezy talks about his "syrup" habit ("It's what you take when you have a very, very bad cough, a flu or somethin'," he explains) and his marijuana use (it's "medicinal"), Couric gets on his back about being a "role model" to the "kids" (including his 10-year-old and two-month-old children). Weezy, as always, is ready with the perfect response: "If you need an example for how to live, then you shouldn't have even been born."
7. Nothing makes you sound quite as lame as haveing your serious journalist voice layered over Lil' Wayne's "Lollipop."