A Look at the Cash That Jeff Thompson Gave to Other D.C. Politicians
The two conspiracy charges filed against alleged Vince Gray shadow campaign financier Jeff Thompson today in federal court probably couldn't come at worse time for the mayor, who is running for re-election and has long denied any wrongdoing. In court today—just three weeks before the crowded, April 1 Democratic primary—prosecutors said that Gray knew about the illegal shadow campaign. In all, Thompson is said to have provided more than $2.3 million in illicit contributions to federal and local campaigns.
While the mayor is being accused of knowing of a shadow campaign to help him get elected, he's hardly the only mayoral candidate who has received cash from Thompson. In fact, every mayoral candidate currently sitting on the council—except for Ward 6's Tommy Wells—received publicly disclosed campaign contributions from Thompson between around 2001 and 2011.
In 2011, Loose Lips published a list of the D.C. politicos who received contributions from Thompson and donors who appeared to be affiliated with Thompson over the course of a decade. The same caveats that applied then apply now: It's possible that not every donation tallied here had something to do with Thompson; it's also possible that there are other contributions LL was unable to find.
- At-Large Councilmember Vincent Orange: $99,700
- Council Chairman Kwame Brown: $32,500
- At-Large Councilmember Michael Brown: $22,750 [In February, it was reported that Thompson was believed to have provided about $100,000 in off-the-book help to Brown's 2008 campaign.]
- At-Large Councilmember Phil Mendelson: $19,500
- Ward 4 Councilmember Muriel Bowser: $18,600
- At-Large Councilmember David Catania: $15,750
- Ward 5 Councilmember Harry Thomas Jr.: $10,000
- Ward 7 Councilmember Yvette Alexander: $9,600
- Ward 8 Councilmember Marion Barry: $8,550
- Ward 1 Councilmember Jim Graham: $8,000
- Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans: $4,500
- Ward 3 Councilmember Mary Cheh: $1,000
- Ward 6 Councilmember Tommy Wells: $0
- Former Ward 4 Councilmember/former Mayor Adrian Fenty: $100,000
- Former Ward 7 Councilmember/former Council Chairman/Mayor Vince Gray: $90,000 (in on-the-books donations, so excluding the shadow campaign)
Photo courtesy of Charles Parsons