Who Makes What Money on the D.C. Council?
This morning, the Examiner reported on the salaries of D.C. Council staffers and members. The paper especially focused on staffers earning more than $100,000, which the Examiner says is one in five employees of the council. The highlights of their findings:
- Schanette L. Grant, chief of staff for Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans: $132,000
- Jordan H. Hutchinson, chief of staff for At-Large Councilmember David Catania: $131,500
- Corey A. Griffin, chief of staff for Ward 5 Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie: $120,000
- Charles W. Allen, chief of staff for Ward 6 Councilmember Tommy Wells: $119,000
- Amy Bellanca, chief of staff for At-Large Councilmember Michael Brown: $115,000
- Jonathan M. Willingham, chief of staff for Ward 3 Councilmember Mary Cheh: $110,000
- Jon R. Meyers, chief of staff for Ward 7 Councilmember Yvette Alexander: $110,000
- Denise L. Tolliver, chief of staff for Council Chairman Phil Mendelson: $108,000
- Estell M. Lloyd, chief of staff for At-Large Councilmember Vincent Orange: $103,000
- Joy Holland, chief of staff for Ward 4 Councilmember Muriel Bowser: $101, 826
Not every chief of staff is over the six-figure mark. The chief of staff for Ward 8 Councilmember Marion Barry, Joyce Ann Clements Smith, makes $90,000, and Calvin Woodland, chief of staff for Councilmember Jim Graham, earns $85, 277.
Most councilmembers make $128,202. Catania, Cheh, and Brown make $125,583, and Mendelson, as chairman, makes $190,000. Which means Evans and Catania both pay their chiefs of staff more than they make.