Capital Fringe's awards ceremony had the glitz of the Helen Hayes Awards, except without any fancy outfits. Or overlong acceptance speeches. And with everyone crammed into a chairless Trinidad Theatre instead of the fancy Lincoln Theatre.
Well, they were like this year's Helen Hayes Awards in one important way: The ceremony was pretty chaotic. Only this was the happy kind of chaos. Everyone was in a party mood.
Fringe CEO Julianne Brienza and I presented the Audience Awards, as voted by online readers using a confusing, non-categorized poll. The winners:
- Best Comedy: The Wedding Party
- Best Dance & Physical Theatre: straight on til moUrning
- Best Drama: "It's What We Do": A Play About the Occupation
- Best Musical Theatre & Opera: How to Quit Your Day Job
- Best Overall Show: The Eddie Lounge Reunion Tour: The Lounge Awakens
Brienza also presented her Director's Choice Award to POWER! Stokely Carmichael.
"That's all well and good," you may be saying. "But what if I was lazy and didn't go to any of these shows, and now want to see only the popular ones?" You're in luck, obnoxious person.