If you happened to watch the Georgetown Public Library go up in smoke back on April 30, 2007, you had to assume that the building and its contents were largely lost to the conflagration. There were fears that the library's historic Peabody Collection—essentially, Georgetown's civic archives—were a complete loss. (Earlier that day, Eastern Market was [...]
Posts Tagged ‘Fire’
On Second Thought, Don't RSVP: Eloping is hard enough when you're a public figure. Eloping when you're a public figure and you've already sent out invitations to the wedding that's been described as the social event of the year (albeit in Sacramento)? Downright rude. But DCPS Chancellor Michelle Rhee and her fiancé, Sacramento Mayor Kevin [...]
Aug. 12. © 2010 Matt Dunn
Popular H Street NE hangout The Argonaut is closed following an apparent kitchen fire on Sunday morning. Photos of the extensive damage have been posted on the place's own web site, which also dishes up some details on the Argo's post-blaze hangover:
Most of you may not know this, but our kitchen used to be an alley. Which means that [...]
D.C. Fire and EMS spokesperson Pete Piringer says that two Georgetown University maintenance workers caught in campus blaze on Thursday morning aren't as badly injured as previously thought.
The two workers were removing carpet and glue from a floor in a building called New North, using lacquer thinner. Moments later, they plugged in a floor stripping [...]
UPDATED 5:55 P.M.
Smoke billowed this afternoon from the roof of Eastern Senior High School, which is nearing the end of a $76 million renovation.
According to D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services, firefighters responded to reports of heavy black smoke coming from the building's roof shortly before 4:30 p.m. By 4:45, a second alarm had been [...]
But we did have to wait outside for 10 minutes while things got checked out.
Two years after the fact, Ward 6 Councilmember Tommy Wells has gone on the record suspecting that the Eastern Market fire was arson. Wells tells the Voice of the Hill:
"'I have a tremendous amount of suspicion that it was arson,' Wells told the Voice immediately after the market reopened Friday."
Eastern Market re-opened today with the [...]
After 2 a.m. this morning, firefighters responded to a fire in the seven-story Harvard Hall apartments in Adams Morgan. The fire was reportedly contained to a single unit, in which a woman was badly burned.
While the fire's effects were thankfully contained, other Harvard Hall residents are raising questions about the building's safety. Several residents are [...]
Jonathan Rees may or may not be dead, but the hate he spewed in the comment sections of various local sites is very much alive... and worse than ever. Most egregious case I've seen in awhile comes today on WTOP's item about the 2-year-old triplets in critical condition after a horrendous MoCo fire. The Post's [...]
This afternoon I visited 1034 Quebec Place, where a massive fire claimed a life this morning. Firemen had a four-block area on lockdown. Pepco technicians were on every corner, assessing potential damage to the grid. Baleful neighbors watched the excavation and gave the professionals a wide berth. One woman told me [...]