District Line Daily: Spreading the Love
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jeff Thompson, who is under investigation for allegedly financing Mayor Vince Gray's $653,000 shadow campaign, was allegedly involved with illegal spending on several other campaigns dating back to as early as 2006.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Maryland's tax-free holiday began Sunday and runs through Saturday. [WAMU]
- Singer Donnie McClurkin was removed from the lineup for the March on Washington's 50th anniversary concert after saying God delivered him from being gay. [WAMU]
- A major repaving project on Wisconsin Avenue will cause work zone delays in Bethesda through the fall. [NBC4]
- Smithsonian's National Museum of American History has opened "Souvenir Nation," a new exhibit focusing on souvenirs as historical mementos.
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Brand New Beats: We round up the latest offerings from DMV rappers Shy Glizzy, Visto, and Kingpen Slim.
Slipping into the Race: Is Councilmember Vincent Orange hinting at a potential mayoral run?
Fine Dining: Columbia Heights is getting a TGI Friday's, according to a liquor license notice.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Jeff Thompson allegedly gave off-the-books help to Linda Cropp, Pat Mara, Vincent Orange, and other candidates. [Post]
- Also: Alleged shadow campaign operative Vernon Hawkins is reportedly set to plead guilty. [Post]
- DYRS recidivism stats don't tell the whole story. [Times]
- Federal City Council asks for a living wage bill veto. [Post]
- Post ed board wants inspector general, Board of Ethics to play nice. [Post]
- Metro crash settlements will be unsealed. [WAMU]
- "Ex-gay" singer drops out of city-sponsored concert after Mayor Vince Gray thinks he'd be a distraction. [Post]
- Some charters struggle with fundraising. [Post]
- Strip club could be too lewd for Glover Park. [Patch]
HOUSING COMPLEX LINKS, by Aaron Wiener is on vacation this week! (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
ARTS LINKS, by Ally Schweitzer is on vacation this week! (tips? email@example.com)
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Twenty-four tasting menus to try that are less likely to break the bank. [Washingtonian]
- B.B. King's Restaurant and Club is eying D.C. [Eater]
- Gas station demolished before Corned Beef King truck could operate there. [Bethesda Mag]
- Get your strawberry cocktails while you still can. [Post]
- Five sandwiches to try at White Apron. [Girl Meets Food]
- Guy takes bath in Pepsi. [HuffPost]