District Line Daily: Adams Morgan Burial Ground
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Adams Morgans' Walter C. Pierce Community Park is home to more than just a playing area for dogs—thousands of bodies are buried underneath it, according to a group advocating that the site be preserved.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Bike to Work Day is here. [Post]
- Mayor Vince Gray not supporting proposal to make gun owners buy liability insurance. [Times]
- District plans to put calorie counts on government soda vending machines. [Examiner]
- D.C. police car set on fire this morning. [WJLA]
- Kennedy Center makes honors process more democratic. [Arts Desk]
- Jonetta Rose Barras likes Circulator expansion. [Examiner]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Photo of the Day: Sunrise at Old Hilltop.
Restaurant Flood: 14th Street is getting a wave of new restaurants.
Beam Me Down: You can skip the new Star Trek movie.
Bike Crime: Introducing "Ride It Like It's Hot," an ongoing series on bike theft.
HOUSING COMPLEX, by Aaron Wiener (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- More than 14,000 people have registered for Bike to Work Day. [WABA]
- Let's hope for a safer biking day than yesterday. [WJLA]
- DDOT plans to resurface the 15th Street NW bike lane this year. [WAMU]
- America's most bikeable neighborhoods. D.C. strikes out. [Atlantic Cities]
- D.C. vandals go European, torch police car. [WJLA]
- Fundrise preemptively gets in on 965 Florida Ave. NW battle. [WBJ]
- MARC adding weekend service between D.C. and Baltimore. [Baltimore Business Journal]
- Weigh in on the North Capitol Street Metrobus next week. [PlanItMetro]
- Today on the market: Wesley Heights five-bed
ARTS LINKS, by Ally Schweitzer (tips? email@example.com)
- Responding to criticism, the Kennedy Center changes its selection process for the Kennedy Center Honors. [Arts Desk]
- Where to find Chuck Brown public art around the city [Curbed D.C.]
- An interview with Andre "Whiteboy" Johnson in advance of last night's Chuck Brown memorial concert at the Howard Theatre [WTOP]
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier shut down streets in Dupont Circle last night. [Post]
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Everything you need to know about burger chains in D.C. [Washingtonian]
- Tom Sietsema's spring dining guide is here. [Post]
- Sneak peek of Vendetta, coming to H Street NE next week [Frozen Tropics]
- Where to splurge on seafood platters [Eater]
- First taste of 8407 Kitchen Bar [Bethesda Mag]
- The eight best oyster happy hours in D.C. [Zagat]
- The Post starts a wine club. [City Desk]