District Line Daily: Stay Classy, D.C.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
This week's cover story, out now in print: Meet TV reporter Russ Ptacek, ardent opponent of dangerous fridges, racist cabbies, and dirty restaurants.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Former nightclub owner sentenced. [Post]
- Streetcar unveiled. [Examiner]
- Slavery accusations at Saudi mansion in McLean. [WTOP]
- Capitol Hill beating suspect found guilty. [Examiner]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Party Time: Adams Morgan bar Millie & Al's is celebrating its 50th anniversary.
Crossed Wires: Washington's broadband network isn't meeting its potential.
Bugs' Lives: Jordan Brown is documenting the District's bugs.
Dry Mouth: Not everyone who needs medicinal marijuana will be covered by the District's legal pot.
HOUSING COMPLEX, by Aaron Wiener (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Fundrise offers up another H Street property. [Fundrise]
- Penn Branch Shopping Center facing foreclosure. [Post]
- A new CaBi option for infrequent users. [GGW]
- Volkswagen gives $10 million to National Mall. (Did someone say giant underground parking lot?) [WJLA]
- L Street cycletrack had only a "slightly" negative impact on driving. [WTOP]
- Buyer of nearly $1 million Trinidad house now looking to rent out basement for $2,200/mo. [ToT]
- Streetcars running by year's end? We'll believe it when we see it. [DCist]
- Big land swap for D.C. United stadium? Makes sense. [WBJ]
- Take contracts out of the Council's hands. [Post]
- D.C.'s rooftop bars, mapped. [DCist]
- South Capitol Street KIPP hits a roadblock as small area plan advances. [SWTLQTC]
- Today on the market: Elegant Hill Victorian
ARTS LINKS, by Ally Schweitzer (tips? email@example.com)
- Former Levels nightclub owner Antoine Jones sentenced to 15 years in prison on a drug charge. [Post]
- First Lady Michelle Obama comes to Politics & Prose May 7. [Post]
- Imperial China announces its final show. [Arts Desk]
- Yay, Gateway Arts District! [WJLA]
- ICYMI: Sequestration means the Smithsonian won't use all of its available gallery space. [Arts Desk]
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Where to taste tequila and mezcal around D.C. [Zagat]
- Mama Chuy opens patio, launches eight-hour happy hour with half off drinks. [New Columbia Heights]
- More about B Too. [Washingtonian]
- 3 Stars Brewing Company to host oyster and barbecue throwdown. [DC Beer]
- Goodbye, Adour. Hello, Decanter. [Post]
- Froggy Bottom Pub soft opens its new location on Friday. [PoPville]
- Ri Ra Irish Pub closing its Bethesda location. [Bethesda Mag]