District Line Daily: No Girls Allowed
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A milestone is coming up in D.C. education: the District's last public all-boys school is set to close when the school year ends.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- D.C. Walmarts getting new designs. [Post]
- New D.C. Jail boss tries to make changes. [Post]
- Aggravated assaults more likely around D.C. bars. [Examiner]
- Inside the presidential motorcade-themed "Ubercade."[Examiner]
- John Kelly takes on food delivery ad. [Post]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Buzzed: It's the circle of life: one coffee shop on H Street NE closes, another opens, if only temporarily.
Tagged: Behind the scenes of the making of The Legend of Cool "Disco" Dan.
Streaking: The Wizards' winning streak has been broken, and now, Michael Jordan's former agent is talking smack about his former team.
LOOSE LIPS, by Loose Lips columnist Alan Suderman. (tips? email@example.com)
- Phil Mendelson knew about problems with MPD's sex assault cases a while ago, did nothing, police union says. [Examiner]
- Regional business that couldn't satisfy CBE requirements cries foul, shenanigans begin. [Times]
- Vince Gray's school spending plan needs some tweaks. [Examiner]
- New D.C. Jail boss gets a glowing review. [Post]
- High-end hotel market shakeup. [Post]
- WUSA9 reporter gets two Uber drivers fired. [WUSA9]
Housing Complex columnist Aaron Wiener is on vacation.
ARTS LINKS, by Ally Schweitzer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Peter Marks: Round House Theatre's new producing artistic director, Ryan Rilette, could put the suburban company on the same level as Studio Theatre and Arena Stage [Post]
- Chris Richards profiles Martyn, the talented Dutch dubsteppish producer who resides in Northern Virginia—and recently became a U.S. citizen [Post]
- Eisenhower Memorial's metal tapestries may be unsafe, report says [DCist]
- George Mason history professor nominated for George Washington Book Prize [Post]
- The Renwick Gallery will undergo renovations in 2014 [Post]
- Venus Theatre's 2013 season offers three world premieres [D.C. Theatre Scene]
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- Five tips for ordering your coffee like a regular [NoVa Mag]
- Burger King's Twitter hacked to say it was sold to McDonald's [HuffPost]
- Little Serow tops GQ's most outstanding restaurants list [GQ via Washingtonian]
- How to make the perfect margarita [Drink DC]
- Viet Thai closes in Adams Morgan [PoPville]