District Line Daily: Clever Enough and Smart Enough
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Readers, it's Friday!
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Marion Barry says he can use disapproval resolution on cab smart meters because "I'm just clever enough, and smart enough." And gosh darn it, people like me! [WUSA9]
- D.C. planning to refuse Nationals' request for extended Metro hours on game nights. [Post]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Photo of the Day: Page Three Photo.
Come at the King, You Best Not Miss: After the Post ran a story about an FBI investigation into the city's property tax assessment appeals, Chief Financial Officer Natwar Gandhi's spokesman has started circulating a letter to the editor saying that the Post asks for its own assessment appeals—with the Post's tax information attached.
Georgetown Residents to Dine on Lobster: The Georgetown storefront left vacant by the exit of beloved (by students) late-night pizza joint Philly Pizza two years ago has been filled by Luke's Lobster.
Nationals Anthem: "Crudd-rock" song "The National's Anthem" is making a comeback, just like the team it praises.
LOOSE LIPS, by Loose Lips editor Alan Suderman. (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org )
- The Nats are super greedy [WTOP]
- D.C.'s process for challenging petitions is completely broken. [Examiner]
- Marion Barry now prefers to be called mayor for life [Post]
- ... or "jobs czar" [Examiner]
- D.C. tech industry doing fine without tax breaks [DCFPI]
- D.C. water wants inaugural attendees to drink tap water [Post]
- Task force on powerlines still thinks it's the trees fault. (It's Pepco's!) [Times]
ARTS LINKS, by Alex Baca (tips? email@example.com)
FOOD LINKS, by Young & Hungry editor Jessica Sidman. (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Chef R.J. Cooper will open a "gastro-bar concept" next door to Rogue 24 called RogueSpirits. [Eater]
- A peek inside the new diner/coffeeshop/bar from the owner of Tryst and The Diner [PoP]
- Earl's Sandwiches expanding to Ballston [ARLnow]
- Mayor Vince Gray will attend ribbon cutting for Lime Fresh Grill. [New Columbia Heights]
- DC Water wants Congress to choose tap for the presidential inauguration. [DCist]
- Toldeo Lounge to be replaced with a more upscale concept. [Washingtonian]
- Meat in the Box in Falls Church claims to have nothing to do with the SNL skit. [Express]