District Line Daily: Bizarro D.C.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It's Physical Copy of City Paper Thursday, so go out and get yours. This week's cover: Never mind New York, the cities that D.C. should really compare itself to are Boston, L.A., St. Petersburg—and Faranwalia, Guinea.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- More details on Family Research Council gunman. [Post]
- Metro under investigation over stimulus contract. [Examiner]
- Office of Campaign Finance hanging on to audit of Vince Gray's campaign for now. [Examiner]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Photos of the Day: Man Waving.
Olympic Schemes: The London Olympics might have looked fun, writes Mike Madden, but it's time to quash talk about bringing the Olympics here.
Unpopularity Contest: With Mayor Gray in trouble, the race is on to find a candidate outside the Council to replace him. That's because, Alan Suderman writes, the current candidates all have problems.
Fajita Frenzy: Could new taqueria Tacos El Chilango finally make D.C. a taco town?
LOOSE LIPS, by Loose Lips editor Alan Suderman. (tips? email@example.com)
- Linda Cropp: no regrets on baseball stadium deal [WUSA9]
- Mayor Gray unhappy with Marion Barry's stalling tactics at St. E's. [Examiner]
- Release of OCF audit of Gray campaign delayed indefinitely. [Examiner]
- New health insurance exchange will be complicated. [Times]
- Nutjob shoots conservative group's security guard downtown. [Times]
- Tough-sounding charter school coming to D.C. [Post]
- Condo problems in Ward 7 [WAMU]
- Mayor Gray getting a new commission on Caribbean affairs together. [WAMU]
- Gray set to appear on Newstalk today at 10 a.m. [WJLA]
ARTS LINKS, by Jonathan L. Fischer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Corcoran's unintentionally topical gun show [Post]
- Reunited trio Lorelei on being grown-up indie rockers [Express]
- Archie Moore of Velocity Girl and Black Tambourine remembers defunct local record stores Yesterday & Today and Vinyl Ink [The Vinyl District]
- Local punk-history show "Dissonance" devotes an episode to Pussy Riot [Dissonance]
FOOD LINKS, by Young & Hungry editor Jessica Sidman. (tips? email@example.com)
- Restaurant toothpicks are still in. [Express]
- The best spicy ma-la dishes at Great Wall Szechuan House [Borderstan]
- FroZenYo (co-owned by former Washington Bullets star Kevin Grevey) opens in Arlington with two more on the way. [ARLnow]
- French bistro Le Grenier opens on H Street NE this weekend. [H Street Great Street]
- Eating a chicken wing with chopsticks [NoVA Mag]
- Anthony Pilla leaves Seventh Hill Pizza for Ghibellina, coming to 14th Street NW [Post]
- Sweet Diable now open at 19th and M streets NW. [PoP]
Early renderings of Maketto, coming to H Street NE [Eater]
What's in store for A&D Bar, from Seasonal Pantry chef Dan O'Brien [Washingtonian]