City Desk

District Line Daily: Vacant Ethics Board, Nuclear Destruction

A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to citydesk@washingtoncitypaper.com.

Sign up: To get District Line Daily — or any of our other email newsletters — sent straight to your mailbox, click here.

Good morning from Washington City Paper! It's Tuesday. One hundred years ago today, the first cherry blossoms were planted by the Tidal Basin by then-First Lady Helen Herron Taft and Viscountess Chinda, the wife of the Japanese ambassador to the U.S. Unfortunately for would-be visitors of the last century, there would be no tour bus parking by the blossoms for decades to come.

LEADING THE MORNING NEWS: Mayor Vince Gray can't get anyone to agree to join new ethics board, and the Office of Campaign Finance claims it no longer has any legal authority to enforce conflict of interest laws against D.C. Council. [Post] Nuclear bomb in downtown D.C. would destroy everything in half-mile radius, but outside that zone, life would go on! [WTOP] Metro faces allegations it discriminates against white employees. [Times] Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School principal seizes student newspaper after Channel 9's Andrea McCarren complained about an article. [Post]

YOUR DAILY QUALITY-OF-LIFE MEASUREMENT: On Monday, City Paper's Needle ticked down a point. The bad news: Chick-fil-A brings its spicy blend of politics and fried chicken to town in a food truck, controversy ensues. The good news: A suspect was arrested in the shooting at the Columbia Heights IHOP from earlier this month. Take a look here.

SIX CITY PAPER STORIES FROM THE LAST 24 HOURS TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:

The Bishop is Back: The man blamed for Anthony Williams' inability to qualify for the primary ballot as an incumbent mayor in 2002, Scott Bishop Sr., may have worked to support Vince Gray's campaign for mayor in 2010, Alan Suderman reports. "When asked if he worked for Gray, Bishop told LL 'sort of,' but declined to elaborate because of the pending investigation. He added that he did not work 'directly' for the campaign, but also declined to say who hired him or who paid him. Office of Campaign Finance records don't show any indication that the Gray campaign paid Bishop a dime. But did Bishop get paid for his time? 'I don't work for free for nobody,' he told LL. A former Gray campaign aide told LL Bishop helped put up signs for Gray's campaign. Asked for a response to that information, Bishop seemed to indicate that it's true, without wanting to confirm it directly: 'You can say sources say, but I can't say it.'"

Go Back to Seattle!: The District's Historic Preservation Board knows what it likes, and what it likes, Lydia DePillis reports at Housing Complex, is not Pacific Northwest-style architecture. Board member Graham Davidson chastised Seattle-based architect Miller Hull's design for a glassy, six-story building at 9th and U streets NW: "'Your responsibility is not to create an icon...but most importantly to knit the neighbor back together,' Davidson said. 'Knitting the neighborhood back together does not mean bringing west coast housing ideas to the east coast. And this still looks like awfully like it belongs in Seattle.'" Note: The board still basically approved the design.

Chick-fil-A Food Truck Stirs Debate (Surprised?): Food trucks and regulations governing them have stirred plenty of controversy here in D.C., but the new truck coming from Georgia-based fried chicken empire Chick-fil-A has sparked fights of an entirely different nature, reports Chris Shott at Young and Hungry. "This time, though, the banter has nothing to do with parking or sales tax or 'vending development zones' or anything of that nature. Instead, D.C. foodies are in an uproar about the company's apparent politics, primarily in regard to gay rights. (Read food scribe David Hagedorn's thoughts here; Dino owner Dean Gold, meanwhile, chimes in here.) The abrupt shift in dialogue from waffle fries on wheels to the country's never-ending culture wars is not entirely surprising—this is Washington, after all."

Fat Trel Drops Nightmare on E St.: The most anticipated local hip-hop mix tape in quite a while arrived yesterday from Fat Trel, who was recently profiled by Ramón Ramirez on City Paper's cover. Nightmare on E St. features appearances and beats from Lex LugerBig K.R.I.T., Kirko Bangz, The Slutty Boyz, Tabi Bonney, Raheem DeVaughn, and more. On Arts Desk, City Paper critics listen to the mixtape track by track.

Yesterday's Daily Mike Daisey Apology: Fabulist and monologist Mike Daisey continued his attempt to repair the damage caused by revelations that some details in his one-man show about Apple's supply chain, The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs, were invented by Daisey. Yesterday, he posted a written apology on his blog, ditching the weaselly forms some of his previous mea culpas had taken, Chris Klimek (who's been all over Daisey for us) notes on Arts Desk. "If your appetite for apology has not yet been thoroughly sated, Woolly Mammoth Theater Company announced earlier today that Daisey himself will attend the previously announced public forum scheduled for 7 p.m. [Tuesday]. Daisey will be seated in a dunking booth above a tub of N-Hexane, the toxic screen-cleaner that really did poision assembly-line workers making Apple products—as confirmed in reporting by, among others, Rob Schmitz, the very same Marketplace correspondent who uncovered Daisey’s lies and exaggerations—just not the workers Daisey actually met with and interviewed. It's possible I fabricated part of just that prior paragraph for dramatic effect."

Jeff Thompson Has Legal Problems Unrelated to Campaign Finance: Whenever city contractor and political contributor supreme Jeff Thompson finishes dealing with a federal investigation that had the FBI poking around his home and offices last month, he'll have to deal with another case, too, Alan Suderman notes. "Thompson was sued in D.C. Superior Court over a real estate deal gone south. City records show that Thompson is the sole owner of 300 15th St. SE on Capitol Hill, currently the home to Ian's Hair Studio. Both Thompson and studio owner Ian Thorne are being sued by attorney Charles Parsons, who says he had a deal with Thompson to buy the hair salon until Thorne interfered and tanked the deal. The property was listed for sale in November 2011 at $700,000, Parsons says. The price dropped dramatically, first going to $500,000 in December, then to $400,000 by February of this year, according to Parson's lawsuit."

DEMANDING JUSTICE PHOTO OF THE DAY: Vigil for Trayvon Martin

LINKDUMP AFTER THE JUMP!

LOOSE LIPS DAILY POLITICS LINKS, by Alan Suderman (tips? lips@washingtoncitypaper.com)

• Jeff Thompson steps aside from accounting firm. [WAMU]
  • Mayor Vince Gray and Councilmember Vincent Orange: top two recipients of Thompson-linked donations, top two recipients of money orders. [Times]
  • No one wants to be on new ethics panel. [Post]
  • D.C.: addicted to speed camera revenues? [Times]
  • Gray wants to repay workers for furlough days. [Post]
  • Gray's budget has lower taxes, maybe. [WBJ]
  • Sekou Biddle gets nods from Pat Mara and David Catania. [Post & Post]
  • Peter Shapiro gets Greater Greater Washington's endorsement. [GGW]
  • Gray's capital budget. [HC]

REAL ESTATE AND DEVELOPMENT LINKS, by Housing Complex blogger Lydia DePillis (tips? housingcomplex@washingtoncitypaper.com)

• Don't pay so much taxes. [Urbanturf]
  • The budget might lower your taxes. [WBJ]
  • Do cities need to be quieter? [AtlanticCities]
  • Don't stop the party status. [GGW]
  • Jeff Thompson's hair salon problems. [LL]
  • Wireless companies? Greedy? [Borderstan]
  • Takoma loses a coffeeshop. [PoP]
  • Dudley Street reminds me of what Ivy City could be. [Switchboard]
  • Wegman's: The anti-Walmart. [Atlantic]
  • This is what it means to compete with Hollywood. [NYO]
  • Mood Lounge getting bought. [EastShawDC]
  • Martian complex on Connecticut Avenue for sale. [WBJ]
  • Today on the market: Potomac Freedom.

ARTS LINKS, by Ally Schweitzer (tips? artsdesk@washingtoncitypaper.com)

• Brightest Young Things unleashes its hard-to-read Spring Arts Guide. [BYT]
  • Populism in "The Art of Video Games"? No, thanks. [NPR]
  • The alcohol-drenched secrets of the National Cathedral's newly reopened central tower. [DCist]
  • Wayne Brady talks his upcoming performance with NSO Pops. Spoiler: He does not choke a bitch. [Washingtonian]

FOOD LINKS, by Young & Hungry columnist Chris Shott (tips? hungry@washingtoncitypaper.com)

• An arrest in the recent IHOP shooting. [AP]
  • Things to expect at Rasika West End, now (softly) open. [Post]
  • 1905 will open its rooftop garden by May 1. [Borderstan]
  • Mayorga Coffee, R.I.P. [Prince of Petworth]
  • Seasons serves 1,302 gallons of coffee every month. [City Eats]
  • Win free brunch for two at Sonoma by Tweeting. [Facebook]
  • Charity event Taste of the Nation D.C. is happening April 2 [Eater]
  • Boozy musings on featured "Artinis" at Tabard InnEl Centro and Smith Commons. [We Love DC]
  • Pearl Dive needs to work on its fries. [Bitches Who Brunch]
  • The Summer Fancy Food Show is coming to D.C. June 17 through June 19. [Gourmet Retailer]
  • The H Street NE farmers market needs a new home. [Frozen Tropics]
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
  • LOL

Let me ask this question since we are in budget season. Where is the Peck report? Wasn't there supposed to be this whole process evaluation of the DC govt that would be used to make the budget. What did the report find? Who worked on it? How was that used in the budget planning?

Did we all forget about this?

• Rhymes and Reasons

If you like Krit, you might like my blog, Rhymes and Reasons. It’s a series of interviews with hip-hop heads who discuss their lives and a few songs that matter to them. Pretty powerful stuff. Check’em out here:

http://thisisrhymesandreasons.wordpress.com/

...