City Desk

Superhero D.C. Recruiter Mike Locksley in More Trouble in New Mexico

vontae_and_vernon_davisresize[1]

Locksley Recruits Vontae and Vernon Davis

So maybe there's more to college coaching than recruiting?

For years it was agreed that nobody was a better college recruiter than D.C.'s own Mike Locksley. He was responsible for developing a pipeline of gridiron talent from the District to whatever school hired him as an assistant. Two examples: When Locksley was at Maryland, he landed Dunbar's Vernon Davis, now of the San Francisco 49ers. Davis recently signed a contract that made him the highest paid tight end in NFL history. And when Locksley moved over to the University of Illinois, he brought in Dunbar's Vontae Davis, Vernon's little brother and a future Miami Dolphins' first-round pick.

But after years atop the recruiting game as an assistant, Locksley was given his first head coaching job by the University of New Mexico before last season. And he's been a disaster. He had sexual discrimination suits and assault charges filed against him within his first few months at the school. A prize recruit from Coolidge was found to be ineligible, but not until after heading out to New Mexico to join the team.

And now he's in the middle of another brouhaha over whether he bullied a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo, the student newspaper, in a local bar after the kid wrote that the program was in "shambles."  (How many NCAA horror stories begin with "Coach walks into a bar..."?)

The school insists that no low blows were delivered by the Lobos coach during the encounter, but Locksley and New Mexico administrators made the situation much worse by obtaining the security video of the incident and then hiding it.

Still, as we learned from Bobby Knight, any and all misconduct of this sort would be fine, if only the Lobos could win now and then. But the Lobos are losing ugly. Last weekend's 56-14 trouncing by Utah put Locksley's squad at 0-3. The Lobos have been outscored 180-31. That puts Locksley's career record as a head coach at 1-14.

"Shambles" seems kind.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
  • OregonLobo

What a lousy, sloppy piece of reporting. Not only were there no blows, there wasn't even any shouting. It was two people having a disagreement. There is more than one video tape. The university ditched their copy because it had nothing on it. One of the guys making the accusations says he recorded half of the 20 min on his phone camera. If if was so confrontational, why isn't it all over YouTube? This report is based on heresay and false accusations. Some people just like kicking others when they're down.

• Typical DC BS

The point is: Why is the coach of a college football team accosting a student reporter in a bar? His public relations skills are definitely lacking, as well as any common sense he has.

• OregonLobo

So, having a conversation is now "accosting a student reporter?" What evidence do you have to support this? Frankly, there are a lot of people unhappy with Locksley's record and are dying to see him go. This whole thing seems to be a manufactured story in order to get Locksley in more trouble and force the administration to fire him. There has been no evidence presented here. A reporter for the Albuquerque Journal reviewed the tape and saw nothing on it--otherwise, he would have broken the story. Again, this blog post does nothing but pass on allegations that seem to have no shred of evidence.

• LOL

the article was about more than some disputed encounter at a bar. He did have other charges filed against him. While those are not convictions, he record as a coach should get him canned without having to look at any of the speculative stuff.

• noodlez

COACH LOCK WAS IN WAY OVER HIS HEAD WHEN HE TOOK POSITION AT UNM. JUST THINK OF JIM ZORN WHEN HE BECAME HEAD COACH OF SKINS AND THAT WOULD MIRROR COACH LOCK'S UNM RUN. LOCKSLEY IS ONE HELL OF A RECRUITER BUT HIS HEAD COACHING SKILLS ARE SUB-PAR AT BEST.

THAT IS WHERE B-LIST RECRUITS FROM WASH METRO AREA GO TO DIE.

SOMETIMES ONE MUST RECOGNIZE THEIR OWN LIMITATIONS AND ADHERE TO THOSE LIMITS WITHOUT GETTING IN YOUR OWN WAY.

PRIDE GOETH BEFORE DESTRUCTION!

• Blklaw

Does anyone realize how bad the talent was on the Lobos roster when Locksley took over? They previous coach felt that if you were FROM New Mexico, it was your God given right to play for New Mexico. News flash people, that state is totally devoid of any major D-1 talent. Time is needed to purge the Lobos roster and bring in athletes with talent and ability. A process that Locksley has already put into motion. Just look at his recent recruit class and transfers. Help is on the way. If you read many of the negative posts on several of the sites show undertones of racism. A sad truth in 21st century America. No one ever mentions the fact that the sexual harrasment allegation was just that, an allegation that was unfounded. The woman never received a dime. More like sour grapes for being let go by the new coaching staff after being the team secretary for years. Does the team need to improve, yes. Does Locksley deserve the opportunity to bring in his players to implement his style of play, yes. Three years would be a fair measuring stick for any new head coach to change a program around and get them going in the right direction. Patience and fairness is what's needed. After three seasons and the Lobos are still a one win team or not a major competitor in the MWC, then by all means the administration should look to go in another direction.

• Blklaw

Ask yourselves why did the kid "covertly" tape the conversation if they weren't fishing for a story. Nevermind the fact that taping the conversation of someone without their consent is against the law in the state of New Mexico.

• SEdcDude

Local SE DC and Ballou Alumni dude gone BIGTIME and serving his community well, but this is the respect and professional courtesy he gets after 2 years at mexico.....GTFOH!!!

I remember DUKE allowed Coach K to sit out a season due to "back surgey" HAHAHA, but coincidentally that was their ABSOLUTE WORST recruit year...FACT!!!

ENDS justify the MEANS.....racist, weak, faggz!!!

• noodlez

@SEdcDude LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE. LOCK WAS STARTING PIPELINE FOR ALL TOP LEVEL RECRUITS FROM DC AREA TO ILLINOIS. A BIG TEN SCHOOL. OTHER BIG TEN SCHOOLS WANTED HIS ASS OUTTA THERE QUICK BEFORE HE ESTABLISHED HIMSELF IN ILLINOIS.

THEY PLAYED TO HIS EGO, WRAPPED IT ALL NICE AND PRETTY FOR HIM. CREATED BUZZ THEN VOILA BROTHER IS GOING! PURE SET UP. HE SHOULD HAVE KEPT HIS ASS IN ILLINOIS OR AT THE VERY LEAST CAME BACK TO AREA TO COACH AT TOWSON, HOWARD OR BACK AT MARYLAND. NEW MEXICO IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE SOME SHIT IN D-1 FOOTBALL BECAUSE THEY JUST DONT HAVE THE ATHLETES THERE IN STATE TO SUPPORT PROGRAM.

HE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT INSTEAD HE THOUGHT HE COULD GET DC AREA YOUNGINS TO GO OUT THERE AND STRIVE. A NOBLE GESTURE BUT IT’S NOT REALITY BASED. DUDE SHOULD NEGOTIATE HIS WAY OUTTA THERE AND GET BACK TO DOING WHAT HE DOES BEST. RECRUITING, COORDINATING AND POSITIONING DC AREA STUDS TO GET IN THE NFL!

• SRdcDude

NOODLEZ, you are absolutely correct!!

He was setup for failure...AS USUAL and someone, John Thompson/Glenn Harris needs to get in his ear ASAP before it's too late!

We have come soooo far in this kuntry but have made NO progress in RESPECTING and APPRECIATING others (BLACKS), although 3'5ths MAN is still etched in stone!!

• NMDude

Your hero has made a joke out of UNM football. He is
    1-19 as a head coach. He is paid $750,000 a year with a six year contract for this. I would say that he is a 3/4 of a million dollar man instead of a 3'5ths man. Maybe you all can get him a job back in DC so UNM won't have to bless us with his losing ways. You all are screaming that your homie is being mistreated. The only ones being mistreated are the student atheletes, the fans and the University. John Thompson is to classy to get involved with this loser!

• Dino

locksley makes $750,000 per year?? Are you serious? He can't coach---why are they paying him all that coin? 1-19 and you get almost a million per year? What a country!

• dpc1994

NMDude, all due respect, but you're a fucking idiot. I'm not even a Locksley fan, and I will say that freely.

If it weren't for Locksley recruiting great talent, solid coaches like Ron Zook and Ralph Friedgen wouldn't have hired him, so your administration took a shot and it didn't work out. Grow the hell up. Continue to suck when you hire a bum of YOUR choosing, have a Coke and a smile. LOL.

As for the idea posited by some that Locksley was tricked into the New Mexico job? Please. He shouldn't have taken a job so far from his base of recruits. Illinois was a stretch. Locksley and his recruits are better served as close to the East Coast as possible. It's easier for him to recruit the high schools where he's a known operator. It's easier for the kids he recruits to have their family see them play. It's easier for them to see themselves playing closer to home. Simple. Effective.

Also, for the guy to darn-near show up in New Mexico and folks trying to hang cases on him? He should've gotten out of there at the jump.

• NMDude

dpc1994, why am I an idiot? Because I don't like losing? Are you joking, Ron Zook a great coach? Maybe my DC standards. Once we do hire a new coach, we won't suck as bad as we do now, so anything will be an improvement over Fat Albert. Hey, Hey Hey!

BTW, I've been to DC five or six times in my life. How many times have you been to New Mexico? It does not take a genius to know that the culture is different in New Mexico than D.C. Why don't you whisper in Locksley's ear.

Trying to hang cases on him. You are the idiot talking about how we are conspiring on your boy. He is a thug and hangs out in the bars too much. Hey but that is the DC way isn't it?

...