What’s Happening Tonight
Tonight is packed with all sorts of viewing parties and movie screenings so if you're lacking plans, pick some from the following list.
- In honor of Chef Art Smith's appearance on Top Chef Masters tonight, his Art and Soul restaurant is hosting a viewing party in the ArtBar from 8-11 pm. Complimentary hor d'oeuvers representing classic Smith dishes are promised but who knows how long they'll last. (Art and Soul, 415 New Jersey Ave. NW)
- The penultimate movie of NoMa Summer Screen 2009 will play at 7 pm. Tonight's feature is Scratch, a 2001 documentary about the birth of hip-hop DJing and turntablism, with interviews from the Beastie Boys and Jurassic 5. (NoMa Summer Screen, L Street between 2nd and 3rd NE)
- For those who enjoy bowling and dudes, a "dive-in" screening of The Big Lebowski is being held on the roof of the Capitol Skyline Hotel for the 21+ crowd. Games, water bowling, and a costume contest will also be part of the festivities. Tickets are $12 and include one White Russian cocktail. (Capitol Skyline Hotel, 10 I Street SW)
- Asylum screens The Royal Tenenbaums as part of their Wes Anderson festival. No cover charge, the movie starts at 8. (Asylum, 2471 18th St. NW)
- Oh, and there's the presidential press conference about health care reform tonight Just don't try to watch it on Fox, since the network decided to air So You Think You Dance instead. Pretty much every other network will show President Obama's comments starting at 8.