City Desk

College Rag Wrapup: Constructive Criticism Edition

GW Hatchet editor Eric Roper (Darrow Montgomery)

College Rag Wrap-up: Your weekly roundup of what’s new(s) in D.C. college papers (and blogs). Each Monday, City Desk summarizes the most interesting stories from college oriented newspapers and blogs in the area. Links are compiled by City Paper intern Ryan J. Reilly, who is an editor at Catholic University’s student newspaper, the Tower.

American University—The Eagle

• Former press secretaries Dee Dee Myers and Ari Fleischer offered their advice to White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs on Thursday night. Story features audio interviews with both Myers and Fleischer conducted by Eagle staff member Howie Perlman.
  • American University's website is stuck in the past says columnist.
  • Members of the AU Queers and Allies group "are looking forward to picking up new insights and ideas about how to advocate for change on AU's campus," says an article about a conference they attended.

Catholic University—The Tower, CUA Tower Blogs

• D.C. Department of Health confirms that illness affecting growing number of students is Norovirus.
  • Architecture students are designing a new transportation hub on H Street. From the Tower: "The denizens of the traditionally depressed H Street corridor could see relief in the shape of a new transportation hub which could bring jobs and jump-start its local economy."
  • Franny Murray, Catholic U.'s equipment manager of 62 years, was honored on Saturday with the dedication of the basketball court in his name. Features video from the Tower and ABC7.

Georgetown University—The Hoya, Vox Populi

George Washington University—The Hatchet, GW Hatchet Blogs, GWblogspot

Howard University—The Hilltop

• University administrators are searching for someone to replace the vice president of student affairs, who left his position in December.
  • Political Science chairman named.
  • Howard students in the School of Communications participate in Legacy Day entrepreneurship challenge and compete for monetary prizes to put towards their dreams.
  • New textbook rental company Chegg is Netflix for textbooks. From the Hilltop: "Chegg Textbook Rental is the new wave rippling through college campuses. It boasts a catalogue of a million books."

University of Maryland—The Diamondback

Did we miss something? Think your University blog or news site should be on our radar? Leave links and tips in the comments box!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Comments

1. #1

No college newspaper is following the "mysterious" death of the GW junior that happened last week?

2. #2

Yeah, Vox Populi love. I hope the former Voice kingpins at City Paper were responsible for this, Ryan.

By the way, check out Vox Populi's print analogue, the Voice, for more Georgetown news.

3. #3

Karl: Covered it at the top of last week's roundup:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2009/01/26/college-rag-wrap-up-post-inauguration-edition/

Will: Be sure to check the Voice for next week's roundup.

4. #4

Why nothing from George Mason? Check out their student media site at http://www.connect2mason.com/

5. #5

That's a sharp looking site. Leaving George Mason was an oversight on my part, I'll be sure to add it in next week.

6. #6

Either quit smoking cigarettes or smoke smarter... http://cleanecigs.info

Comments Shown. Turn Comments Off.
...