Rolling Stone Ranks the Crooners: The Truth Comes Out!
A belated answer key to our Rolling Stone: Parse that Platitude contest!
- There is a difference between people who sing and those who take that voice to another, otherworldly place, who create a euphoria within themselves. PLATITUDE REFERS TO: Elvis Presley
- You know a force from heaven. You know something that God made. And [blank] is a gift from God. PLATITUDE REFERS TO: Aretha Franklin
- There’s a lot going on in [blank]’s voice. A lot of pain, a lot of life but, most of all, a lot of strength. PLATITUDE REFERS TO: Etta James
- [Blank]’s unhinged aggression presaged punk rock. PLATITUDE REFERS TO: Jim Morrison
- I can’t compare [blank]’s voice to anything — [blank] had such an unusual breadth of influences, from Sonic Youth to Edith Piaf. PLATITUDE REFERS TO: Jeff Buckley
Winners entitled to free copy of City Paper, redeemable at any of our many distribution hubs across the greater D.C. metro area.